MindMup has several advantages:
- Collaboration: MindMup is designed for collaboration through Google Drive, with the option to work and edit on one map or presentation, as well as track progress and review changes made during the session.
- Options: MindMup has many options for brainstorming. Users can create interactive maps, storyboards, and even presentations. There are also multiple resources for assistance, including a blog site, examples of how to use the different features, and helpful menus.
- Editing: MindMup has many ways to edit the map, including formatting images, changing the color of the thought bubbles, and the positioning of the lines connecting the ideas. It also is easy to publish to many different other interfaces, including social media.
- Mobile Use: MindMup has a great app available for tablets and smartphones, which is very similar to the online version. This enables users to access their ideas from anywhere at any time.
- MindMup Gold: not all the options on MindMup are free. There are space restrictions, and maps will only be saved for six months unless a subscription is purchased for $2.99 per month to MindMup Gold.
- Difficult to Use: Although there are many opportunities for help, MindMup is fairly tricky to learn. Some features that would seem obvious are not available. For example, the user cannot move the thought bubbles by hand. The website occasionally freezes and will not work without being refreshed. It is difficult to format storyboards and presentations without prior knowledge of the program.